Wiffle Ball at the Academy Tourney
July 19-20, 2018
At the Kansas City MLB Urban Youth Academy
Benefiting the “C” You In The Major Leagues Foundation
How would you like to swing the plastic under the bright lights of the Kansas City MLB Urban Youth Academy? What if you hit a bomb or three under the watchful eye of Dayton Moore or others from the Royals’ Baseball Operations department? What if you could fist-bump a teammate who happens to be a Royals’ Hall of Famer or a local media personality? Here’s your chance!
For two nights in July, the brand-new Urban Youth Academy in downtown Kansas City will be transformed into a Wiffler’s dream, with enough fields for a 32-team tournament that’s open to all players age 14 years old and above. So grab your buddies, your co-workers, your neighbors, some strangers off the street, or even sign up as “free agent” and join us!
Under the direction of CYITML, KC Wiffle, and UYA employees, the tournament will run Thursday and Friday nights at the Kansas City MLB Urban Youth Academy, with the first games each night starting at 5:00 (tentatively) and the last games at 9:00.
- There will be two divisions: Competitive and Recreational, with a maximum of 32 teams. (In Wiffle Utopia we’d have 16 teams in each division. Ultimately, however, it’s based on how many we have applying for each division.)
- Your team (of sheer awesomeness) will be guaranteed three games: two in round-robin play and one in bracket play. If your team is really, really good, you could end up playing three games on Friday night!
- We will provide more rules and information once each team registers and is approved, but please note that we will play this like a “regular” baseball game.
- On Thursday night, there will be a home run derby! (More details to come but it’s going to be epic and everyone — including spectators — will have a chance to participate…so get to the batting cages now!)
- The tournament will be played outside in rain or heat. In the event of storms, the schedule may be altered to play inside at the UYA and at the EPIC Sports Lodge.
- Each team will consist of 9-16 players, male or female or co-ed. Age minimum = 14 years old.
- Cost per team is a minimum of $2,500. Although this may sound like a lot — and, let’s face it, it is — that’s an average of $156-$278 per player, depending on how many you have on your team. Teams may pay with one check, but, since we want to make an incredible impact on this city, we’re encouraging fundraising. If your team is approved, we will help you set up a team fundraising page on our website. A minimum of $2,500 is due by July 2, whether that’s through fundraising, paying outright, or a combination of both. (PLEASE NOTE: There will be no refunds. This includes, but is not limited to: if your team cannot reach the $2,500 minimum, if your team needs to back out, if we have to cancel because of an act of God…well, you get the picture. The good news is that the proceeds are going to a super cause, and that’s why we’re doing this great event. So play or no play, for your generous spirit we thank ye.)
- We know you’ll rock your fundraising, and we’ll be cheering you on all the way. In fact, we’ll hook you up with a “Tip Sheet” to start that good cheer.
- And, of course, there will be team fundraising levels/prizes. The coolest? The two teams that raise the most money by July 9 will receive invitations to play at the Hollow on July 21st…including the special lunch that day with Dayton Moore, George Brett, Denny Matthews, and more.
- Then there’s this: Every team that raises more than $7,500 will be in a drawing for a private lunch at Kauffman Stadium with Royals GM and CYITML founder Dayton Moore. (Chances will increase at every $2,500 increment. For instance, a team raises $10,000, it will have two chances. At $12,500, three chances. And so on. This lunch will be at a mutually-agreed upon date between August 1, 2018, and February 1, 2019.)
- Each player will receive a “swag bag” that includes an event shirt, a Royals hat, and so much more!
- Not everyone will get a trophy for playing in this tournament, but if your team’s good enough to play in the championship, there will be some awesome swag on the line. (More details to come.)
Frequently Asked Questions:
I don’t have a team, and can’t get enough guys/girls together, but I want to play. Can I play?
You betcha! Never mind that you’re the only one among your friends willing to risk some sore muscles for a great cause, we have you covered. You’ll go to our “free agent” pool. You’ll need to pay or raise at least $300 before July 2, but then around July 14, we’ll start placing free agents. First priority will be given to teams with fewer than nine players. Who knows, you may end up on a team with Royals’ Hall of Famers or your favorite media personalities. (If you don’t have a team and don’t anticipate having a team but you want to play, please send an email to Wiffle@CYouInTheMajorLeagues.org, and we’ll get you set up with a fundraising page.)
What if we have don’t have nine players? Can we still apply?
Of course! During the registration process you’re asked how many players you anticipate having. Please let us know the number you plan on having. We will not ask for a roster until July 17. Please note, though, that each registered team is responsible for raising (or paying) at least $2,500 before July 2. That would not include any potential free agents. We won’t ask for your roster until July 13.
Can our company apply and start fundraising, once approved, even if we don’t know our team?
Yes! Again, during the registration process you’ll be asked how many players you anticipate having. Please let us know that number (9-16). Once your team is approved you’ll receive instructions on setting up your team fundraising page. We won’t ask for your roster until July 13.
Can we have a co-ed team?
Yes, we welcome ALL players above the age of 14 years old. The only caveat is that there will not be divisions based on gender. So a co-ed team or even an all-women’s team likely will face an all-men’s team.
Are there restrictions on our team name or uniform?
Unfortunately, yes. Anything deemed vulgar or otherwise inappropriate will be rejected, and you’ll be asked for a new name. If anything about your team shirts or uniform is deemed inappropriate at the tournament, you’ll be asked to change or forfeit your games. (And, again, there are no refunds.) We want to have fun in the spirit of Wiffle, but please KEEP IT CLEAN!
When will we know when we play?
We will have a special video presentation of the brackets and schedules about a week before the tournament. More details to come.
Are sponsorship packages available?
Yes! Sponsorships of every size are available with benefits including everything from signs at the UYA to a team in the tournament or a single spot in the Saturday game. If you’re interested, please visit our Sponsorship page, or send an email to Wiffle@CYouInTheMajorLeagues.org.
What if I have more questions?
More details, including a timeline of events and fundraising prizes, will be announced in the upcoming weeks and months. In the meantime, if you have any questions, please send an email to Wiffle@CYouInTheMajorLeagues.org.
How do I register my team?
Simple. Fill out the application below. We’ll get back to you shortly.