Wiffle Ball at the Academy Tourney
July 19-20, 2018
At the Kansas City MLB Urban Youth Academy
Benefiting the “C” You In The Major Leagues Foundation
How would you like to swing the plastic under the bright lights of the Kansas City MLB Urban Youth Academy? What if you hit a bomb or three under the watchful eye of Dayton Moore or others from the Royals’ Baseball Operations department? What if you could fist-bump a teammate who happens to be a Royals’ Hall of Famer or a local media personality? Here’s your chance!
For two nights in July, the brand-new Urban Youth Academy in downtown Kansas City will be transformed into a Wiffler’s dream, with enough fields for a 32-team tournament that’s open to all players between the ages of 14-102 (or so). So grab your buddies, your co-workers, your neighbors, some strangers off the street, or even sign up as “free agent” and join us!
If you’re ready to sign up, without reading below or traveling to the bottom of this page, CLICK HERE to go to the Wiffle Ball at the Academy tournament team application.
Under the direction of CYITML, KC Wiffle, and UYA employees, the tournament will run Thursday and Friday nights at the Kansas City MLB Urban Youth Academy, with the first games each night starting at 5:30 (tentatively) and the last games at 9:00.
- There will be two divisions: Competitive and Recreational, with a maximum of 32 teams. (In Wiffle Utopia we’d have 16 teams in each division. Ultimately, however, it’s based on how many we have applying for each division.)
- Your team (of sheer awesomeness) will be guaranteed three games: two in round-robin play and one in bracket play. If your team is really, really good, you could end up playing three games on Friday night!
- We will provide more rules and information once each team registers and is approved, but please note that we will play this like a “regular” baseball game.
- On Thursday night, there will be a home run derby! (More details to come but it’s going to be epic and everyone — including spectators — will have a chance to participate…so get to the batting cages now!)
- The tournament will be played outside in rain or heat. In the event of storms, the schedule may be altered to play inside at the UYA and at the EPIC Sports Lodge.
Player & Team Entry Benefits (min. $200/player; $2,500/team):
- Cost per player is $200 or $2,500 for a team of more than 13 players. Only restriction is that player must be at least 14 years old.
- Player/team fees are not due when you register. Unless you register on July 9, which is ultimately when the minimum is due, because…
- Teams may pay with one check, but, since we want to make an incredible impact on this city, we’re encouraging fundraising. If you or your team is approved, we will help you set up a team fundraising page on our website. A minimum of $200 or $2,500 is due by July 9, whether that’s through fundraising, paying outright, or a combination of both. (PLEASE NOTE: There will be no refunds. This includes, but is not limited to: if your team cannot reach the $2,500 minimum, if your team needs to back out, if we have to cancel because of an act of God…well, you get the picture. The good news is that the proceeds are going to a super cause, and that’s why we’re doing this great event. So play or no play, for your generous spirit we thank ye.)
- Food, non-alcoholic beverages, and “swag bags” provided for all players.
- If signing up as a company, your company’s logo will be displayed on the official event T-shirt and in the event program (deadlines apply), company name and/or logo will be included in event communications when partners are listed, and on the sponsor’s page on our site.
- Company teams will have opportunity to provide branded item in each Crown Town Wiffle Weekend player’s swag bag.
- Team captains will be invited to four special events: a cookout at “The Hollow” on June 26, a cookout and Home Run Derby on July 17, and a VIP event at Pro Athlete’s headquarters in August or September.
- We know you’ll rock your fundraising, and we’ll be cheering you on all the way. In fact, we’ll hook you up with a “Tip Packet” to start that good cheer.
- And, of course, there will be team fundraising levels/prizes. The coolest? The two teams that raise the most money by July 9 will receive invitations to play at the Hollow on July 21st…including the special lunch that day with Dayton Moore, George Brett, Denny Matthews, and more.
- Then there’s this: Every team that raises more than $5,000 will be in a drawing for a private lunch at Kauffman Stadium with Royals GM and CYITML founder Dayton Moore. (Chances will increase at every $2,500 increment. For instance, a team raises $10,000, it will have three chances. At $12,500, four chances. And so on. This lunch will be at a mutually-agreed upon date between August 16, 2018, and February 1, 2019.)
- Not everyone will get a trophy for playing in this tournament, but if your team’s good enough to play in the championship, there will be some awesome swag on the line. (More details to come.)
Frequently Asked Questions:
In case we didn’t answer all of your questions, you can click here to read our FAQs.
There are plenty of opportunities to volunteer before, during and after Crown Town Wiffle Weekend. Before the event, you can help with the administrative side, or “building” the Wiffle fields at the Urban Youth Academy, or packing swag bags. During the event, you can help with everything from the check-in tables, to working the Home Run Derby field. After the event, you can help with taking down the fields and clean up. And much more! If you’re interested in volunteering, please send an email to Wiffle@CYouInTheMajorLeagues.org, indicating your interest and availability. Someone will get back with you within 24 hours. Thank you!