Recognizing coaches who make Kansas City a better place to live, work, and play
For the third consecutive season, “C” You In The Major Leagues is teaming up with Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas City (Blue KC) to recognize the Blue KC Coaches with Character, intended to spotlight coaches who, through their leadership on and off the field, are helping to grow amateur sports in the Kansas City area, and making our community a better place to live, work and play.
Each Blue KC Coaches with Character honoree will be selected from nominations submitted by fans, with one honoree announced each month.
Honorees will be interviewed on 610 Sports, receive a VIP gift package from Blue KC and “C” You In The Major Leagues, and will be invited to meet Royals General Manager and CYITML Founder Dayton Moore at an event in September at Kauffman Stadium. Additionally, Blue KC will make a $2,000 donation to CYITML in honor of selected coach.
To see the 2017 honorees, please click here.
To see the 2018 honorees, please click here.
NOMINATIONS AND SELECTIONS
NOMINATOR ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA:
- Nominator must be at least 21 years old.
- All nominations must be submitted at www.CYouInTheMajorLeagues.org/bluekc.
- A nominator can nominate only one Coach throughout the season. If a nominator submits multiple nominations, only the first submission will be considered.
- Nominator must provide the contact info, including email address and telephone number of the nominee.
- Nominator must provide a first-person narrative as to why the nominee should be selected
(250 words or less).
- Nominator must submit the nomination in English.
- Nominator must agree to be included in a publicity release should his/her Coach be selected.
COACHES WITH CHARACTER ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA:
- A Coach may be nominated several times by multiple people, but please remember quality over quantity.
- Coach must live in the Kansas City Metro Area.
- Coach must agree to be included in a publicity release.
KEY FACTORS CONSIDERED IN SELECTION PROCESS:
- The degree to which the Coach has been a leader for a cause that meets basic human needs or enriches the lives of others.
- The degree to which the Coach has exhibited dedication and selflessness with his/her team.
- The degree to which the Coach has made a special and significant impact on individuals, families or the youth sports community-at-large in greater Kansas City.
- The degree to which the Coach has gone “above and beyond” to serve and inspire others.
- The degree to which the nominator is able to convey the overall significance and impact of the Coach’s influence and leadership.
- The degree to which the Coach has consistently demonstrated the ability to help his/her players become better players, teammates and people.
RULES AND REGULATIONS:
Any and all related expenses, including without limitation any and all federal, state, and/or local taxes shall be the sole responsibility of the nominator and/or Coaches with Character. The Blue KC Coaches with Character program is governed by the laws of the State of Missouri and is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations.
By submitting a nomination and by participation, nominator, Coaches with Character, and Coaches with Character’s guests, if any, agree to release and hold harmless Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas City and its subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising and promotion agencies, suppliers, partners, representatives, agents, successors, assigns, employees, officers, and directors from any liability, illness, injury, death, loss, litigation, claim or damage that may occur, directly or indirectly, whether caused by negligence or not, resulting from nomination or participation in the Blue KC Coaches with Character program.
2017 “Coaches with Character” Honorees
Brian Driskell, head baseball coach, Grain Valley High School.
Amanda Clayton, Great American Basketball League.
Jack Gillis, youth baseball coach.
Jim Krueger, Youth Hockey Association.
Fred Patek, youth baseball coach and Royals Hall of Fame.
Peggy Rose, Blue Valley High School freshman volleyball, and track and field .
2018 “Coaches with Character” Honorees
Bill McDonald, longtime high school baseball coach.
Preston Steinhoff, basketball & baseball coach, Creighton, Mo.
Marc Asquith, softball coach, North Kansas City, Mo.
Jessie Rood, gymnastics coach, SM Northwest High School
Laura O’Connell, cross country coach, BV North High School
Matt Marble, assistant football coach, Blue Springs High School