Do “One Good Thing.”
It’s a simple concept, really. But if we all do “one good thing” for others, we can make an incredible impact on the Kansas City community.
That’s the charge from Unite KC, a Christian faith-based organization Dayton Moore helped launch in 2020 to fight racial injustice in Kansas City. And that’s the basis for this book.
“One Good Thing” is a collection of first-person profiles of men and women of faith in Kansas City who have done “one good thing” to promote change in Kansas City. Some of the names might be familiar; others won’t be. But each person in this book is striving to make a difference for others.
You’re going to read about Jeremiah Enna, who started a performing arts organization that puts on a moving performance each year about the Underground Railroad. You’ll read about Taylor Penrod, who, along with her husband Jimmy, felt called to leave the comfortable suburbs of Johnson County to be the hands and feet of Jesus in an under-resourced area of Kansas City, Kansas. And Will Gurley, who, as a teenager, went from contemplating suicide to starting an annual music festival to bring awareness to mental health.
In addition to Enna, Penrod and Gurley, the others featured in the first edition of the book include:
- Artrell Harris (Christian Family Services)
- Rex & Jennifer Hudler (Team Up For Down Syndrome)
- Ryan Lefebvre (Gloves for Kids)
- Michael Loney (Freedom Hoops)
“The premise of this book is about love and forgiveness. And, in some cases, taking what the world sees as very difficult and challenging circumstances and turning them into opportunities to love and serve others. It is our hope that the stories and testimonies of the people featured in this book will inspire you and help you understand that the challenges and hardships that we all face can be used as a catalyst to make us stronger and unify our community.” — Dayton Moore from the book’s Introduction
This book will inspire you to do One Good Thing to make a difference for someone else.
Please note: all author profits from the sale of “One Good Thing” are being split equally between C You In The Major Leagues and Unite KC. Additionally, each nonprofit featured is receiving a one-time grant for participation in the book.
To order the book from Amazon, click here.
To order signed copies of the book, click here.
Do you know someone who’s doing “One Good Thing”?
This book is just the beginning. There are hundreds of people in our community doing “one good thing.”
So, we are planning to feature six to eight people per year who are doing “one good thing.” These local heroes will have their stories told in a blog post, on the C-10 Podcast, and in a future edition of the book.
The nomination form is below, but here’s a little bit more about the selection process…
NOMINATIONS AND SELECTIONS
NOMINATOR ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA:
- Nominator must be at least 21 years old.
- All nominations must be submitted at www.CYouInTheMajorLeagues.org/onegoodthing.
- Nominator must provide the contact info, including email address and telephone number of the nominee.
- Nominator must provide a first-person narrative as to why the nominee should be selected
(250 words or less).
- Nominator must submit the nomination in English.
“ONE GOOD THING” ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA:
- Nominee may be nominated several times by multiple people, but please remember quality over quantity.
- Nominee must live in the Kansas City Metro Area.
- Nominee needs to be willing to talk about his/her Christian faith.
- Nominee must agree to assist with a first-person story for the blog post and book, and be interviewed for the C-10 Podcast.
KEY FACTORS CONSIDERED IN SELECTION PROCESS:
- The degree to which the Hero has been a leader for a cause that meets basic human needs or enriches the lives of others.
- The degree to which the Hero has exhibited dedication and selflessness in the Kansas City community.
- The degree to which the Hero has made a special and significant impact on individuals, families or the community-at-large in greater Kansas City.
- The degree to which the Hero has gone “above and beyond” to serve and inspire others.
- The degree to which the nominator is able to convey the overall significance and impact of the Nominee’s influence and impact.
RULES AND REGULATIONS:
Any and all related expenses, including without limitation any and all federal, state, and/or local taxes shall be the sole responsibility of the nominator and/or nominee. The “One Good Thing” book and program is governed by the laws of the State of Missouri and is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations.
By submitting a nomination and by participation, nominator, nominee, and guests, if any, agree to release and hold harmless C You In The Major Leagues Inc., Unite KC and their subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising and promotion agencies, suppliers, partners, representatives, agents, successors, assigns, employees, officers, and directors from any liability, illness, injury, death, loss, litigation, claim or damage that may occur, directly or indirectly, whether caused by negligence or not, resulting from nomination or participation in the “One Good Thing” book, blog post and C-10 Podcast.
“One Good Thing” Nomination Form
To order the book from Amazon, click here.